Sunday, 31 July 2011

Research

I have been doing some research on other ways I can get my visual experience that I want by not using mood rings. I feel that the mood rings are too small and it would be more benifical to have a larger surface area to touch. After a lot of googling I found some more information on Thermochromism. The definition of thermochromism is something that changes colour due to temperature change. Liquid crystals are used in mood rings, but another way to achieve thermochromism is leuco dyes. Liquid crystals are hard to get hold of and require careful handling. Leuco dyes is simply like a paint that can be applied. The actual substance of it is contained in microcapsules. The down side to Leuco dyes is that they are not as responsive and effcient as liquid crystals and I believe for my project to be successful, I need my material to change colour rapidily and easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment